Friday, April 06, 2007

Helvetica: The Film

This is old news to a lot of people, myself included, but I didn't truly get excited about this film until I noticed that it's showing at RIT in May. In Michael Bierut's discussion of the film, he had this to say...


I was in the audience for a sneak preview at MoMA several weeks ago, and I'll give you my early review. The film is great. (And not just because I'm in it, nasal Cleveland accent and all.) Huswit has structured the film's interviews to create a perfect short course in postwar graphic design. Luke Geissbuhler's cinematography is beautiful, and the music makes everything seem positively hip. I left the preview feeling thrilled to be a graphic designer.


I'm excited. Unfortunately Ive been cursed with a creative brain and little patience for formal training, and while I enjoyed and excelled in the typography class that I took my freshman year of college, I'm far from being able to declare myself a true font-o-phile. It's films like this that will allow me to feel and act like a true designer and hope that my execution catches up.

Check out clips/trailers and info about the film here.

No comments: